Saturday, April 6, 2013

My Faith: How I Study the Bible

The most important thing in my life is my relationship with Jesus Christ.  That relationship is personal, it is real, and it is constantly growing.  I spend time every morning reading God’s word and in prayer.  This year, I am reading the Bible through chronologically. When I read, here are a few steps I take to make sure that I understand what I am reading and to help me draw near to God.

1.   The first thing I do is spend time in prayer – asking God to speak to me through His word.

2.   The second thing I do is read the text, and as I read, I pause, trying to discern what God is teaching me through the passage I am reading.

3.   The third thing I do is ask questions: Who is speaking in this passage? Who was the original audience? What does this passage tell me about God? What does it tell me about God’s will for my life? What is the main point of this passage?  If I’m not sure of the answers to some of these questions, I try and look them up or ask trusted resources like my husband (who is a minister).  Bible.cc, biblos.com, and biblegateway.com are all great resources.

4.   The fourth thing I do is pick the verses that stood out to me the most. I try and spend a few minutes thinking about these verses, meditating on them.

5.   The last thing I do is pray again. This time, I talk to God about what I read and ask Him to continue to speak to me throughout the day about what I read.  I close by spending time talking to God about other things that have been on my mind, using my Prayer Calendar (see related blog post) as a guide. 

If you are having a difficult time staying accountable to reading God’s word, I’d love to hear your story and keep you accountable.  Contact me using the tab at the top of this page, and I’ll connect you with my next 30-day Bible reading challenge group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment