Friday, March 15, 2013

My Fitness: TurboJam Workout Review

Turbo Jam: I love these workouts. 

Update: I’m currently going through Turbo Jam again at almost 6 months pregnant.  (This is NOT a pregnancy workout – it is intense – and you should definitely talk to your doctor before beginning any intense workout. I do the modified versions of the workout and was already in good shape prior to beginning this series.)

Originally, this was my third Beachbody workout to try.  If you order from their website, you’ll receive six DVDs, sculpting gloves, flash cards, on-line support, a guide book, a meal plan, and other informational brochures. The DVD currently retails for $59.85 on the Beachbody website.  How it works: there are two suggested rotations – one for beginners and one for advanced.  During pregnancy, I use the beginner calendar.

Whether you are a beginner or advanced, the calendar recommends working out 4-5 times per week.  The calendar rotates between the five main DVDs:
  1. Learn & Burn (30 minutes) – a 10-minute guide through the “Elite 11” (most commonly used) moves followed by a 20-minute workout. The great thing about this is that for people who usually struggle with step aerobics or dance-type moves can spend time learning the basic moves that she uses throughout the rest of the DVDs.
  2. Turbo Sculpt (40 minutes) – this DVD targets all of your problem areas and will really sculpt your muscles… you’ll wake up sore the next day.
  3. 20-Minute Workout (20 minutes) – a quick, full-body workout
  4. Cardio Party (45 minutes) – high intensity, mostly low-impact, combines dance and kickboxing for a really great sweat
  5. Ab Jam (20 minutes) – includes a standing ab routine
All of the DVDs have the countdown at the bottom of the screen and Chalene is accompanied by both men and women (though these workouts do seem to be more geared toward females).

Things I liked about Chalene: she is super-friendly, upbeat, and positive throughout the workouts.  I found her to be motivational, but she also pushes and encourages.  I appreciate her focus on form, especially with the Learn portion of the DVD, which eliminates possible joint pain from incorrectly performing the exercise.  The dance-party music is great... it's modern and the high energy beat gives me energy while I'm working out.  I love that the workouts come with a nutritional guide/meal plan, and that Beachbody offers on-line support and a coach. For what you are getting, I find the price to be more than reasonable.  I also love that the DVDs are rotational, so you’re not doing the same workout every day.  Plus - the workouts are fun, and I actually look forward to doing them every day.  The things I don’t care for: None.  Honestly, these workouts are great.  I highly recommend them to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment