Monday, August 12, 2013

Bell's Palsy A Blessing?

The Monday after our daughter’s birth was supposed to be a happy day. She was finally going to be released from the hospital. My husband’s mom and sister would be staying with us for a week, and we were going to start learning our new normal as a family of three.

We were released from the hospital that morning, and as soon as we got home, I made a Shakeology drink and headed to the living room to eat and chat with his mom while my husband went into work for the afternoon. While I was drinking my shake, I noticed that my tongue was kind of numb and I was having difficulty speaking. I assumed it was because of how cold the shake was, and just kept sipping away.

A few hours later, my contacts were feeling really dry. When I walked into the bathroom to take them out, I knew something was wrong. I couldn’t blink my right eye. In fact, the entire right side of my face was paralyzed. It was just after 4:30 pm, and I immediately called my doctor. I thought I might be having a reaction to the pain medicine they had given me. The doctor sent me to the emergency room… I called my husband and told him to meet us there.

As we were driving to the emergency room, I had a million things going through my head… the most important being what to do with my daughter. At 5 days old, there was no way I was going to bring her into the hospital and expose her to who-knows-what kind of disease! My mother-in-law and sister-in-law decided to wait in the car with the baby while we went in.

The emergency room was awful. Literally, the worst experience of my entire life. For the next five hours, I was separated from my nursing infant. They wouldn’t let me leave to go nurse her and told me to just bring her in – um, no!

I was fortunate to not have to wait in the waiting room – they led me to my room pretty quickly. They put a bunch of stickers on my chest and connected me to a heart monitor. The doctor came in and told me that he thought I had Bell’s Palsy, and that they wanted to do a scan of my head. A few minutes later, a couple of VERY young-looking staff came in to try and hook me up to an IV and draw my blood.  NOT A CHANCE, I told them… NOT A CHANCE. They looked at me, completely bewildered, and left the room. (Remember I’m 5-days post-partum with LOTS of hormones!)

Around that time, we realized that both of our cell phones were dying, so my husband ran and grabbed his sister’s phone and plugged his into the car. The waiting was excruciating, because each minute of waiting meant a minute away from my daughter, and I knew she was getting hungry with nothing to eat. We decided to call our family doctor. He was SO helpful! He told us we could just go home and come see him tomorrow if we needed to get out of there.

Right as we were about to leave, they came to get me for the scan. My husband and his mom decided to take our daughter home, while his sister waited with me. When we got to the scanning area, the nurse wheeled my bed into a line of 8 or 9 people. I called my husband and updated him, and he said “just leave”. So I got up, out of the bed, and began walking down the hall. I saw a nurse and asked her what I needed to do to leave – that I needed to get home to my infant and didn’t have time to wait around for the scan. She thought I was nuts and moved me to the front of the line!

After the scan, I headed back to the original room and waited for the results. 30 minutes later, it was confirmed that I had Bell’s Palsy (and not a stroke)! The doctor wrote out a prescription and told me that he wasn’t sure I would be able to nurse while taking it. We again called our family friend and he said “don’t do anything – just come in to see me tomorrow. I will work with your OB, and we will find a solution that works so that you can continue to nurse your baby.” Those words were music to my ears!

My husband’s sister drove me home, where I immediately scrubbed down, changed into some fresh clothes, and nursed my daughter!

The next day, we went to our family doctor and found a prescription that would allow me to continue nursing. For the first 10 days, I would have to wait 4 hours after taking the medication to nurse, so I pumped in the morning, then took the medicine and gave her a bottle while I pumped and dumped. It was exhausting, but SO worth it!

While the Bell’s Palsy was something I wouldn’t wish on anyone (I couldn’t blink my eye, so I had to fill it with drops every 20-minutes. I couldn’t smile, so there are no pictures of me with my daughter that month. I couldn’t drink with a cup, because it spilled out the right side of my mouth. I had to hold my mouth closed to brush my teeth and use mouthwash), it actually drew me SO close to the LORD.

I remember sitting in my daughter’s room most nights during those four weeks and just bawling, calling on the Lord to please heal me… asking him to make me strong, and to lift this burden. I know my burden was light compared to most people’s, but I was exhausted and defeated. But here’s the cool part. I depended completely on God, and He drew me so close to Him. I could literally feel him comforting me while I would cry and cry and weep. I knew that He would take away my pain. And while I didn’t know when or if He would heal me (it can take 3 weeks or 3 months or 3 years or never to heal from Bell’s Palsy – they don’t know exactly what causes it and every case is different) – I just trusted that whatever the reason I was going through this, I would glorify Him.

I can’t tell you how many people reached out to me during that time to let me know that they had experienced the same thing, or that they knew someone who had. Everyone was SO generous with us, and we are so very grateful to all of our friends and family, as well as to the doctors.

And while I dramatize and complain about how awful my hospital experience was, I am so very thankful to the doctors who did their best to get me out of there quickly, and to the nurse who helped move me up the line, and to God, the Great Physician, for giving them wisdom to know what to do.  And I’m also SO very thankful for an amazing mother-in-law and sister-in-law who loved on us and held our baby and ministered to us during a very difficult season! I honestly don’t know what we would have done without them!

No comments:

Post a Comment