Monday, January 28, 2013

My Fitness: P90X Workout Review

P90X: These workouts are intense, but I saw some of my best results on P90X.  I followed the workout regimen and meal plan exactly the first time, and literally everyone around me noticed.

This was my fourth Beachbody workout to try.  If you order the base pack from the website, you’ll receive twelve DVDs, an intro video, a comprehensive nutrition plan, detailed fitness guide, workout calendar, on-line support, and other informational brochures.  The DVD set currently retails for $119.85 + tax on the Beachbody website.  How it works: there are three suggested rotations – Lean, Classic, and Doubles.  I’ve done Lean and Classic with similar results.

No matter which routine you select, you’ll workout six times a week, rotating between the DVDs:

  1. Chest & Back (55 minutes): Strength training workout, requires weights or bands, pushup bar, pull-up bar, and chair.
  2. Plyometrics (60 minutes): I really enjoy this workout – you’ll need a stool or chair and mat, but the explosive cardio and jumping burns calories and builds muscle.
  3. Shoulders & Arms: Strength training workout, requires weights or bands and a chair.
  4. Yoga X (95 minutes): This workout is LONG.  You’ll need a mat and possibly a yoga block. It combines strength, balance, flexibility, and breath work to enhance your physique and calm your mind.
  5. Legs & Back (60 minutes): Strength training workout, requires weights or bands, a wall, pull-up bar or bands, and a chair
  6.  Kenpo X (60 minutes): My favorite DVD! This is an intense cardio workout with punching and kicking for endurance, balance, and coordination.
  7. X Stretch (60 minutes): Stretching is so important when you’re working out this hard.  I love the stretch workout.  You’ll need a mat and possibly yoga blocks.
  8. Core Synergistics (60 minutes): Another favorite of mine. You’ll need a mat and weights or bands for this core workout that combines moves from some of the other workouts.
  9. Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps (55 minutes): Strength training workout, requires weights or bands, push-up bar, and chair.
  10. Back & Biceps (50 minutes): Strength training workout, requires weights or bands, pull-up bar or bands, and chair.
  11. Cardio X (45 minutes): Another workout that I really enjoyed.  You’ll need a stool or chair and  a mat. This is A fun, low-impact cardio routine (the Lean segment uses this instead of Plyo)
  12. Ab Ripper X (20 minutes): You’ll need a mat for this intense ab routine.  It took me weeks before I could do all 300+ ab reps
All of the DVDs have the countdown at the bottom, which I appreciate.  Tony is accompanied by both men and women, and they are real people who have gone through the program and seen great results. Tony is a fantastic instructor – I love his jokes and find him to be encouraging and motivational. I really push myself during these workouts.  The workouts are geared toward men and women.  In fact, my brother and I did the workouts together a few years back with great results.

Things I liked about Tony: Like I said above – he is a GREAT coach.  One of my favorites.  I like his style and appreciate his focus on form, which eliminates possible injuries.  I love that the workouts come with a nutritional guide/meal plan.  I followed this religiously the first time I did the program with fantastic results. I also highly recommend the recovery drink and other supplements. I also like that Beachbody offers on-line support and a coach. These DVDs cost a lot of money, but they provide 90 days of workouts, nutrition, and fitness advice.  For what you are getting, I find the price to be reasonable (about the same as a gym membership, but with a personal trainer named Tony).  I also love that the DVDs are rotational, so you’re not doing the same workout every day.  The things that weren't for me: None.  Honestly. These workouts are great.  I highly recommend them to anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment