Friday, February 1, 2013

My Fitness: Power90 Review

Power 90: This was my first Beachbody workout to try. I purchased it a LONG time ago (before P90X was released).  I noticed on-line that it has been updated a little bit since I used it, so I’ll let you know my thoughts and give you the full details (including the updates that have been made). If you order from the Beachbody website, you’ll receive a ton of great materials, including six workouts, a meal plan, a fat-burn express plan, a fitness guide, a resistance band, a workout calendar, a tape measure, a bonus DVD, on-line support, and other informational brochures. The DVD currently retails for $59.85 + tax on the Beachbody website. 

How it works: there are two sets of DVDs – Level 1-2 and Level 3-4.  Each day alternates a different workout (e.g. Day 1 is Cardio, Day 2 is circuit (weights), Day 3 is Cardio, etc) for 45 days, then you move up to the next level. The goal is to work out six times a week with one day rest. None of the exercises on the workouts are impossible, but since I purchased this at a point in my life where I hadn’t been active in quite some time, I must say I struggled for the first week or so.  Within a week, I was amazed at the progress I had made.

The DVDs included are:
  1. Sculpt Circuit 1–2 (30 minutes): Easy moves that work to tone, firm, and strengthen your entire body.
  2. Sweat Cardio 1–2 (35 minutes): Cardio moves, kickboxing, pilates, etc.
  3. Sculpt Circuit 3–4 (40 minutes): A level up from the easier moves in the first circuit.
  4. Sweat Cardio 3–4 (40 minutes): A level up from the intensity in the first cardio (accelerated cardio).
  5. Ab Ripper 100 & 200 (5 minutes each): Two challenging ab routines that will leave you sore.
  6. Fat Burning Express workout (35 minutes): This is the bonus DVD. I occasionally used it instead of the Cardio on weeks where I was getting “bored”.
As I’ve mentioned before, Tony Horton is one of my favorite Beachbody coaches.  He is motivational and he teaches you proper form while performing the exercises.  He is so personable on the DVDs, you’ll be sad when you finish the 90 days. I highly recommend these prior to P90X for individuals who are just getting back into a fitness routine (though you could start with P90X).  These workouts are geared toward men and women.  I was not in "good enough" shape when I purchased these and ended up doing Slim-in-6 first, then Power 90. With the combination of the two, I lost all of the weight I had put on as part of the destructive eating habits I described in my "Undereating & Overeating" blog.

Things I liked about Power 90: Tony is a super-star! I also love that the workouts come with a nutritional guide/meal plan, and that Beachbody offers on-line support and a coach. For what you are getting, I find the price to be more than reasonable. Things that weren't for me: While I like that the DVDs rotate each day, I do get a little restless after the first month and ready for a change. To help combat this, I mixed it up with the additional Cardio workout. Overall, I would highly recommend these DVDs as I saw great results.

No comments:

Post a Comment