Monday, September 9, 2013

Bible Verse of the Week

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."

I just love these verses that Paul wrote to the church at Corinth. Athletes undergo grueling discipline and must have self-control in order to win their events. If athletes can do this for an earthly reward that they can't take with them when they die, how much more so should we as servants of Jesus Christ work to be disciplined and self-controlled? For unlike the athletic crown, our victor’s crown will affect us forever and ever. Hearing Jesus say “Well done!” is no small matter. Think about that for just a moment. Only what we do for Jesus Christ will last... forever and ever and ever. Forever is a long time. And we only have a limited number of days to invest in eternity. In what areas of your life do you need to exercise self-control and discipline?  What is one change that you can make today?







No comments:

Post a Comment